18/04/2010

THERE'S HOPE FOR US YET

A couple of weeks ago I was rushed to hospital with breathing difficulties. The medical team diagnosed coronory failure and sent me for a "catheterism" operation. This is not as complicated as it sounds. The surgeon introduces a very thin catheter through one of the main arteries to check out the bloodflow in your heart and repair the damage (see image on the left). The following link explains it in more detail. http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4491
The whole procedure took less than an hour and I was fully conscious during the whole operation. Really, I felt like a car being taken to the garage to have a faulty valve replaced!
Anyway, the extraordinary thing was that afterwards, the surgeon approached me to check if I was OK and asked me where I was from (all this took place in a Spanish hospital). I said I was English and he looked surprised. "From your name I thought you were Jewish," he said. "No," I replied. "In fact I'm Catholic." "OH!" He said, "I'm Palestinian!" I just stood there staring at him for a few seconds and finally we both burst out laughing. The man had operated on me as best he could, even though he thought I was a Jew!
I don't remember his name, now, but I really do want to thank him from the bottom of my heart.

2 comments:

Luis Miguel Avendaño said...

Hi Joe...
As humans we can treat our political and cultural differences by giving us stick to each other, as we learned in the caves. But all differences are resolved with a smile and we realize where life expectancy is behind the door of an operating room. Then we retrieve the human sense, emotions, tears and affect ... and we return to Life. "Life is Beautiful" Adn I'm grad to see you again with the same sense of humor.
Luis Miguel Avendaño

Joe said...

Thank you, Luís Miguel, for your kind and encouraging comments. I, too, am please to see you again; believe it or not, there were moments when I thought I wouldn't!
Joe