25/08/2010

ALL HALLOWS RC SCHOOL, FARNHAM

Lately, I've been recalling my years at school, wondering what has become of my former schoolmates (We were the Post-War children who grew up with Dylan and the Beatles and read Mao's red book and answered the Student Revolution call and took the pill and won women's lib.). Most of them, I suppose, are approaching a well deserved retirement. Some lucky ones have already retired. A few, I imagine, have left us for good and I'm sure will be missed by their loved ones. How quickly these last fifty years have gone by and how much has been achieved in them: higher studies, holidays, romances, holidays, marriage, honeymoon, jobs, holidays, kids, fewer holidays, grandchildren, more holidays, and soon retirememnt - a permanent holiday. Is that the sum total of our lives?
I want to feel

- that we've left our mark, somewhere along the line,
- that we aren't going to simply disappear,
- that, along with our genes, we'll have transmitted something of importance to our future generations, our descendents,
- that, on the way, we'll have touched some lives, each with his/her own special magic,
- that, if we've been lucky and blessed with talents, perhaps we'll have also managed to leave behind something tangible, of substance, maybe some love letters, or a book, or a song, or a painting,
- and LOVE. Oh, yes! LOTS OF LOVE, along with the memories.

As I recall my years at school, I browse through my photograph album, read my schoolboy diary, some letters that have somehow survived this last half-century, and I feel a nostalgic smile forming as my lips murmur, first a name, then another.

The school, ALL HALLOWS ROMAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL in FARNAHM, SURREY, will be celebrating its 50th anniversary next year (Hopefully, I'll be able to make the trip and get together again with friends from the past), so, I'm putting together a special record of events, as I recall them. IF YOU WERE THERE, during its first five years, and have any documents of any sort that you'd like to share, feel free to contact me. I'd love to include them.

A couple of photographs on the left. The one at the top of this article shows Mr Doyle, the first Headmaster, wearing his usual black toga and heading, seemingly in a hurry, for the playground.




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Doyle died in Feb 2011

Anonymous said...

Hi joe...Patrick Lawrence here or loop....I went to All Hallows' from opening in '61 to leaving in '65.
Great memories.mm

Anonymous said...

Hi Loop, great to hear from you again. Pls write to joesabadell@yahoo.es
I'd lost your address. Hope the family's OK both in England and NZ. Take good care. Joe

Unknown said...

Hello Joe,
I don't remember you but I remember
Pat Lawrence and his sister Anne.
How is it going Patrick. Last time I saw you was in a pub in Chiswick, London W4.
All the best guys and get in touch.
Peter Curry
All Hallows - Sept. 1963 to July 1968

Paul said...

Hi I came across this article my mum went in 1961- Liz McAulley? Don’t know if anyone remembers her. She remembers the Head told me the song you all used to sing and also she loved sister Josephine.

Anonymous said...

Of course I remember her! Pls give her my warmest wishes for a happy retirement. Let me have an email address so I can send photos of those early All Hallows years. My own email is joesabadell@yahoo.es

Anonymous said...

I only went to All Hallows’ for a short time. I can still remember catching a bus from Farnborough where I lived, the classrooms with their big windows and radiator heaters in the walls below. . I also remember being very upset when I was pulled out of school because my parents had decided to come to Australia, which is where I still live. I was so upset because missed out on the trip to France, Belgium & I think Germany, which my big brother got to go yo the year before. I often wonder how different my life may have turned out if my family had not migrated to Oz.

Unknown said...

Hi Joe,I was at all hallows 1963-1968,loved my school days,even mr Dando made us girls smile...sometimes inassembley. I remember Pat and Anne Lawrence and their lovely mum our dinner lady at St Patrick's.
Would love to see old photos of the school.
Enjoyed reading your post here also,thank you for that.
Morag

Unknown said...

Meant to add I am in touch with Colleen macauley Liz macauleys sister,just got together on Facebook,happy nanattering has resumed!

Edwin Spencer said...

Hi, I attended All Hallows for my 5th form, from 1975 to 1976. I remember Mr Dando was the careers advisor at that time. Mr Tom Senior taught English. I also remember Mr Doyle, Mr Clark, Mr Jukes, Mr Tukiwicz , Mr Harvey and Miss Duffield. I enjoyed my time at All Hallows.

Phil Howell said...

Hi Joe and all the other former students who have commented here.

We are celebrating All Hallows 60th Year this year at the PTA summer fair 2nd July 2022, 11-2pm if you are in the area. If you are not we would love to hear from you anyway.

The All Hallows School PTA are working with the school to support developing a careers programme and a wider alumni network of past pupils. If you would like to share how your career has developed or connect as an alumni, please take a look here https://www.allhallows.net/alumni.html at the Future First initiative we are working on.

Also Joe and others if you have any old photos of life at the school, that you would not mind sharing that you give us permission to use, that would be great, please send to admin@pta.allhallows.net. If they are printed photos, you could take a picture with your smart phone or camera and email it through to us.

Thank you and we hope to hear from you

Best wishes,

Phil Howell

Anonymous said...

Hello Morag. Hope you're well.
From Peter Curry ex St Patricks School and All Hallows.

Anonymous said...

Great to read your blog. Sparked happy memories of my years at All Hallows. 1973-1978. Hello to anyone who remembers me. Nick Shepherd.