20/04/2012

HOW MANY SOULS CAN HEAVEN HOLD?

Some people might think this is a daft question. I mean, how much space does a soul actually occupy? I don’t now if anyone has ever tried to calculate this, but I did read somewhere that a soul weighs about 21 grams. If that’s so, then it follows that it must take up some space.


But let’s just go back in time, a few thousand years, say, to the beginning of man. Is there a date for the creation of man? I mean, did God create man in the year… whatever BC? Or do we all agree that man evolved gradually over the ages. If the first possibility is true, then it should be reasonably easy to calculate, give o take a few hundred thousand years, how many people have seen the light of day between then and now. Consequently, we can also work out the maximum number of souls that could have gone to heaven in that time, assuming ALL HUMAN BEINGS HAVE HAD A SOUL.

However, if the second option is the correct one, then we must ask the following question:

WHEN EXACTLY DID MAN ACQUIRE A SOUL?

The world population today is around 7 billion people. However, an estimate of the total number of people who have ever lived was prepared by Carl Haub of the nonprofit Population Reference Bureau in 1995, and subsequently updated in 2002; the updated figure totalled approximately 106 billion.

DOES THAT MEAN 106 BILLION SOULS?

Well I can’t pretend to have the necessary skill or knowledge to answer that question, or any other, for that matter, related to souls. But I’d certainly sleep better if someone provided me with simple answers, in terms I can easily understand, to two questions that have been bothering me for some time now.

HOW MANY SOULS CAN HEAVEN HOLD? and
WILL THERE BE ROOM ENOUGHFOR ME?

I searched the bible for an explanation and found 147 references to the word “soul”, but none of them throws any light on its real meaning. For those who want to read more on this subject, I recommend the following link with a complete on-line transcription of The New Jerusalem Bible :

http://www.catholic.org/bible/

No comments: